Since retiring, Steve has showcased his natural sporting ability by partaking in the third series of Dancing on Ice in 2008. He has also appeared as a personality on entertainment programmes such as Pointless Celebrities (2022), Great British Menu (2012), A Question of Sport (1991-2009), and Ready, Steady, Cook (2008).
He hasn’t completely abandoned sport and is a regular commentator on BBC Radio 5 Live, covering major athletics championships. He is an integral part of the BBC TV commentary. He has covered Olympic, World, European and Commonwealth games, was seen running with the 2012 Olympic torch, and appeared in British Airways Magazine, The Metro Columnist, and Evening Standard.
He has published several books, including The Champion in All of Us: 12 Rules for Success (2012), The Little Book of Property (2018) and The Little Book of Inspiration (2008).
He has also stretched his entrepreneurial legs, building businesses including iPerform and BackleyBlack. BackleyBlack, which he runs with fellow athlete Roger Black, provides training for companies based on their elite sporting experience to deliver maximum performance.
Alongside his broadcasting commitments, Steve has established himself as one of the circuit’s most respected and sought-after speakers.
With a background in sports psychology, and his experience competing at an elite level, he has a tremendous amount of knowledge and advice to impart.
Success is a decision, not a gift
– How to plan for life
– How to develop profound self-belief and deal with failure
– How to understand your weaknesses, and what to do about them
– How to reach your maximum performance
– How to develop a passion for your life
– How to mentally prepare for performing
How to thrive when faced with adversity
– Delivering when the odds are stacked against you
– How to develop and sustain a good performance when others may fail
– Visualisation: the key to performing consistency under pressure
– How to recover from failures
How to build your dream team
– Surrounding yourself with the right people is essential for continued success
– The seven aspects behind a winning team
– Transform your team to perform at its optimum level
Steve’s after-dinner talks are light-hearted but motivating looks at his elite sports career, perfect for any event, including award ceremonies and corporate dinners.
But he doesn’t always come on his own. As two of Great Britain’s best-loved and most respected Olympians, Steve and fellow Great British Speaker Roger Black know all about peak performance and high-impact training. This formidable partnership is born out of a shared conviction that performance excellence and a winning mindset are prerequisites for achieving in any area of your life.
Contact Great British Speakers about booking Olympic speaking duo Steve Backley and Roger Black together on 01753 439 289.