Shola Kaye is a communication, inclusive leadership and empathy at work expert, author, and award-winning diversity speaker on a mission to create happy, engaged and productive workplaces.
She is passionate about helping organisations create an atmosphere of belonging for their people and for those individuals in turn, to be given the skills and opportunity to communicate with power and clarity. When individuals have the confidence and tools to share their brilliance, amazing things happen:
People are transformed into leaders.
Teams and groups perform better.
Shola Kaye’s work has appeared in a variety of industry journals, she is a LinkedIn Learning instructor and her clients include The Untied Nations and Deloitte.
When booked as a diversity and inclusion speaker, Shola Kaye provides personal anecdotes as well as vital key thoughts on gender and race equality, as well as calling out behaviour that does not support the move towards it.
Contact Great British Speakers today to book Inclusive Leadership Expert and Diversity Speaker Shola Kaye for your next event.
Shola Kaye has a degree in Natural Sciences from Cambridge University and a Postgraduate a Postgraduate teaching qualification from Oxford University, before moving to the USA to study neuroscience at Emory University with research carried out at the U.S Centres for Disease Control.
She spent the first part of her career in consultancy in the USA, working at household name investments banks and in the UK for global aviation and finance clients. Her struggles to communicate and gain visibility in the workplace – as a black woman and an introvert – led her to develop an interest in learning to create inclusive workplaces with open, supportive communication.
She went on to become a professional performer, appearing on stages around the world and impressing audiences with her singing voice.
Shola has a unique delivery which combines her STEM background with her performance and entertainment background to share effective frameworks to help teams work better.
In 2017 she published How to be a DIVA at Public Speaking: The Step-by-Step System to Engage your Audience and Present with Confidence, which became an Amazon number one bestseller. She followed this up with Big Talk, Small Talk – Communication Skills for All Parts of Your Life in 2020.
She has been featured in the likes of Marie Claire and Harper’s Bazaar magazines, on the BBC and is often called upon to chair and facilitate conferences and events. Her work has been mentioned in Forbes and her articles have appeared in industry publications such as HR Zone and Management Today.
In her role as a communication consultant, Shola hosts a popular podcast called Shortcuts to Public Speaking Success, which is often rated amongst the top ten for public speaking on the internet.
In 2016, Shola Kaye won the Jenny Seagrove speaking award. She also presented a TEDx speech on Empathy in the Workplace. Her speeches and programmes are in demand and she is frequently rebooked or tasked with running the same programmes at multiple client locations.
Leadership, Diversity and Inclusion: Equip your leaders with the skills and knowledge to combat bias and improve productivity. Can be delivered in a two-hour virtual workshop, a half-day seminar or over a series of shorter sessions.
– Understand the importance of listening and empathy for building trust and engagements
– Recognise the importance of DEI initiatives, from a human and business perspective
– Discover what it takes to develop an environment of psychological safety
– Walk away with strategies to improve emotional connection during virtual communication
– Recognise the most prevalent biases in the workplace and how to break them
– Review the employee lifecycle, including recruitment, hiring, development and promotion, learning practical strategies to increase equity at each stage
– Understand microaggressions, their damaging impact and how to deal with aggressors
– Learn about allyship and how to advocate for your team
Creating a workplace where everyone feels that they belong is more important than ever before, but how can you build supportive, cohesive environments within your organisation? This speech will provide you with practical and effective strategies for becoming an inclusive leader. Can be delivered in a 30-60 minute keynote speech or 90-120 minute workshop.
– Understand the different types of empathy and their impact on your wellbeing
– Find out how empathy skills can affect diversity, inclusion, engagement, innovation and happiness
– Learn effective strategies for non-reactive, compassionate listening
– Walk away with a simple three-step framework and sentence starters for being empathetic in nearly every situation
Use empathy to create a workplace of respect and belonging. Can be delivered in a 30-60 minute keynote speech or 90-120 minute workshop.
– Develop your listening skills so those around you feel supported and encouraged
– Build on your bravery and understand why impact matters more than intention
– Recognise the damage caused by lack of empathy and learn how to put yourself in others’ shoes
– Become a catalyst for the growth of your colleagues and understand the multiple ways you can support those around you
Microaggressions are the brief and commonplace verbal, behavioural or environmental slights, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative attitudes. Can be delivered in a 30-60 minute keynote speech or 90-120 minute workshop.
– Understand the different types of microaggression, including microinsults and microinvalidations
– Discover the impact of common microaggressions used against minority groups including racial, LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities
– Walk away with a variety of strategies for responding to microaggressions that take into account your personality type and environment
– Understand the principles behind bystander interventions and learn a simple model to help you take action
At work and in our personal lives, delivering effective feedback is a valuable skill. Delivered in the right way, feedback can be empowering, inspiring and can drive and individual, and their team, towards fantastic success. Can be delivered in a 30-60 minute keynote speech or 90-120 minute workshop.
– Understand the importance of providing ongoing, tailored, empathetic developmental feedback
– Explore the repercussions of poor feedback styles such as the Drive-By, the Comparison, the Public Humiliation and The Wrecking Ball
– Discover the four elements required to create psychological safety so that your feedback is well-received
Perhaps you need to resolve a conflict, or ask a team member to change their behaviour? It sometimes seems easier to ignore the issue and hope it goes away, but this rarely happens. Instead, the situation may come back to haunt you. Can be delivered in a 30-60 minute keynote speech or 90-120 minute workshop.
– Discuss some of the various types of a difficult conversation
– Learn what preparation is required to ensure a successful outcome
– Discover a step-by-step framework that minimises conflict and puts you both at ease
– Participate in chat and role-plays demonstrating the framework
– Ask yourself key questions to assess your performance and continue to improve
A Chat with Shola Kaye
As part of our ‘Chat with…’ podcast series at Great British Speakers, our director Jane Farnham sat down with Shola to talk about communication, leadership, diversity and inclusion, and empathy at work. Find out more HERE.
Shola is highly adept at repurposing her material for online delivery. Here is her online showreel:
– Diversity and Inclusion
– Female Empowerment
– Teamwork in the Workplace
BBC, NatWest, Oracle, Deloitte, Ministry of Justice, Financial Conduct Authority, Bupa Dental Care, HSBC, Sempra, Google, LVMH, LinkedIn, DMGT, Royal Bank of Scotland, LexisNexis, Financial Times, Sony Music, Corteva, PSEG, Diversity in Maritime, NHS, Tate and Lyle Sugars, ASR Group, The Guardian, American Express, UNFPA, News UK, Total Jobs, Reckitt, Henkel, IBM, Imperial College Business School.
Shola conducted a wonderful and engaging webinar session on communication in diverse teams for UNFPA! Her method of using the chatbox on Zoom to make sure everyone was engaged was super helpful for those who were not comfortable speaking up with the large group of people she was presenting to. Shola was very well-spoken and king and I would highly recommend her work to any organisation looking to improve communication skills between colleagues and teams.
Helin Alcinkaya, United Nationals Population Fund
A great company-wide virtual keynote on Empathy in the workplace. It was a fascinating subject, and I think it was the most engagement I have seen with a topic – clearly it gave people food for thought and resonated. Our HR team has already said that they would like to incorporate some of the tools you gave us into the updated manager training programme. Our diversity and inclusion sponsor on the board of directors even contacted me to say that he really enjoyed the talk and especially how engaging it was for the audience – which I consider a great success!
Natasha Gibbs, Diversity and Inclusion Council, S-RM Corporate Intelligence
I had the pleasure of listening to Shola speak about presenting with confidence. Her personal journey to find her own confidence captures the audience. An inspiring and thought provoking presentation.
Parveen, Senior Legal Counsel, Data Privacy, Digital and Risk Management
I attended Shola’s empathy webinar this morning and found her very articulate, with really good mastery of the subject matter. She broke down the session into simple bite-size sections, which made it easy to relate to. I especially loved the frameworks she shared – very useful takeaways. Thanks for sharing your time and paying it forward during this difficult period. Great use of an hour!
Olanike, Board Trustee at Care & Relief for the Young
Shola’s session on Empathy was great and very concise. Even though we did it online, it was interactive and engaging. Concepts were simple to understand and there were key and practical take-away points from the session!
Jasmine, Consumer Tester, Beauty at Hearst
Shola is a big impact speaker and compelling storyteller. Be warned: her energy and positivity are highly contagious.
Paul Keenan, President, Bauer Media Audio